Saturday, March 26, 2011

Two Brief Writing Interviews, One Session Holding a Toddler

Here are two interviews, my first forays into YouTube, split from the same impromptu session, back in 2008, after a reading in Kuching at Bing!  My website designers, Nic and Krista from Redbox Studios, were in town, so I asked them to attend  the reading and then roped Krista into reading something from one of her blogs, which she naturally blogged about. 

After reading an excerpt from “Transactions in Thai”, which has just been translated into French from Lovers and Strangers Revisited, Nic approached me about the idea for a You Tube interview for his website.  I was carrying Justin at the time, as everyone including my wife Jenny, was busy saying their goodbyes, so we found a quiet place alongside Bing!  As Nic asked me a handful of questions, I tried to think of suitable answers while hoping Justin cooperates.  Like any toddler, he can get restless and throw a tantrum pretty fast.  We both managed to get through it, in one quick take, and that was that.

Over the years I kept coming across various versions, some better than others.  Then today I realized that there were, in fact, two separate interviews, split from that one session, with appropriate headings and questions added in.  I’m sure I must’ve known about this, but at the time, I may have been distracted with marking exams, blogging The Story Behind the Story series,  and writing, with two small children clamoring for my attention to notice.  After seeing the different versions out there, I thought it’s about time that I post the two that Redbox Studios created for their website. 

Here’s the first “My Website Got Me Three Book Deal” (two books actually)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mo5Q13-Ob0&NR=1
And “Going Online Gave Me Tons of Publicity” 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EFeofDpFTk



Here are links to some of my author-to-author interviews of first novelists:

Ivy Ngeow author of Cry of the Flying Rhino, winner of the 2016 Proverse Prize.

Golda Mowe author of Iban Dream and Iban Journey.

Preeta Samarasan author of Evening is the Whole Day

Chuah Guat Eng,  author of Echoes of Silence and Days of Change. 

Plus:

Beheaded on Road to Nationhood: Sarawak Reclaimed—Part I 

No comments: