Friday, April 9, 2010

Joel Roberts - Media Expert -Singapore

I'm in Singapore now, just attended Day One of a three day seminar in Excellence in Media, The Language of Impact. Joel Roberts specializes in "when the stakes are high, and the time is short". He knows his stuff. He's the guy that publishers hire to work with their authors before they get on prime time media shows like Oprah. There are 120 brilliant and successful people attending, many having come from T Harv Eker's Guerilla Business Intensive, which is where I first saw Joel in action last September. I worked up the courage to give him a copy of Lovers and Strangers Revisited and he promised to read at least one story.

I then listened to his set of 14CD's three times while driving back and forth to work to change how I think about writing, or whether or not I can make an impact with my words and own my credentials, sell myself as a writer. Good stuff.

Today, out of the blue, he praised my writing from the stage while I was sitting in back in the next to last row. We barely made eye contact today; I hadn't any opportunity to approach him, so I was doubly surprised. At the end of the day, I did briefly speak with him, thanking him. He said he's going to get me on stage for one of his intensive grillings. He knows how to cut to the core and nail you for any vagueness. He dissects nearly every word you say for impact. He's incredible, from prime time radio in LA, KABC. He's absolutely brilliant and funny. A great show, a great personal investment. If I can't convince an agent to represent me, then no novel deal - simple as that. Every word does count. I have to sell the book in about two minutes or less. "Grab them fast, and keep them long" is one of his mantras. I'm here to learn.

Here's the link to Day two and three, and another link to my first TV interview a few weeks later.


Here are links to some of my author-to-author interviews of first novelists:

Ivy Ngeow author of Cry of the Flying Rhino, winner of the 2016 Proverse Prize.

Golda Mowe author of Iban Dream and Iban Journey.

Preeta Samarasan author of Evening is the Whole Day

Chuah Guat Eng,  author of Echoes of Silence and Days of Change. 

Plus:

Beheaded on Road to Nationhood: Sarawak Reclaimed—Part I 

No comments: