Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"The Future Barrister" - Descant 148: The Search for Happiness


"The Future Barrister" has just been published in the literary journal, Descant 148, in Cananda, for my 97th short story publication. The 98th short story publication was "The Merdeka Miracle" with Lydia Teh and Tunku Halim last August in Going Places, (published after "The Future Barrister" was accepted). Then I just realized, while doing a google search that I didn't include "Neighbours" being published online in Malaysian Literature in English so that pushes my total up to 99, though I'm wavering whether I should include that or not since it appears to be a blog. Here's a link to Denis Harry's "Are You Mrs. Koh?")

For "The Future Barrister" this is the version in Lovers and Strangers Revisited (MPH 2008) that's in the present tense, a last minute change which seemed to solve some problems I was always having with the story.

Here's the link to The Story behind the Story of "The Future Barrister":

CONTENTS:
PREFACE
Karen Mulhallen

MEMOIR
Larry Frolick - The Dark Side of the Moon: My Toronto, 1967–1999
Alex Pugsley - Fudge
Madeline Sonik - Ashes

FICTION
Robert Raymer - The Future Barrister
M.H. Vesseur - Babyface Junkie (Translated by Paul Vincent)
Douglas Glover - Pointless, Incessant Barking in the Night
Emi Benn - What Martha Did

ANNALS OF TRAVEL
John Keyes - Evacuation Route (A Canadian Goes South)

POETRY
Ariel Gordon - Waterage
David Day - Cry of the Curlew
Myrna Garanis - Myrtle on the Midnight
Brian Henderson - Something to Remember the World By
Jeffrey Herrick - Divine Wind; Hohle Fels
Leanne Averbach - Dusk, If That
Roo Borson - Nara
Joanna M. Weston - The Canoe

PORTFOLIOS
Anitra Hamilton - Humpty Dumpty
John Massey - Soldiers
Jim Hake - The Joy of Repetition

I'm still waiting for the actual issue to arrive in Borneo!  (It arrived safely.)
I'm also patiently waiting for short story publication number 99?/100 in my countdown to 100!

*Update, 100th short story publication, 78th from Lovers and Strangers Revisited.

**Update, the 20th anniversary of Lovers and Strangers Revisited, my collection of short stories set in Malaysia.


Here are links to some of my author-to-author interviews of first novelists:

Ivy Ngeow author of Cry of the Flying Rhino, winner of the 2016 Proverse Prize.

Golda Mowe author of Iban Dream and Iban Journey.

Preeta Samarasan author of Evening is the Whole Day

Chuah Guat Eng,  author of Echoes of Silence and Days of Change. 

Plus:

Beheaded on Road to Nationhood: Sarawak Reclaimed—Part I 

1 comment:

Borneo Expat Writer said...

Descant 148 finally arrived today (11 May). What a great feeling. Whether it's your first publication or your 500th (I'm getting close to 500), it's always a great feeling to see your work in print. For me, it's even more special when it's one of my short stories....