Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Matlan Marjan, a Malaysian Shakespearean Football Tragedy

*For zoom, click on article, then right click, click view image, click zoom

This is my article from the November 2011 issue of Esquire Malaysia.  You can only grow if you learn from your past mistakes.  If not, then you're doomed to repeat them until you do learn...

I found this article on Matlan a challenge to write since I don't follow football.  But Esquire asked me to write it with a literary approach.  Luckily I was living in Malaysia when Matlan scored those two goals against England and when the scandal broke out so I knew the background.  Now I had to do a lot of research, find the story, and a theme . . . The day (the year actually) Malaysian football died...

 **Update, the 20th anniversary of Lovers and Strangers Revisited, my collection of short stories set in Malaysia.


Here are links to some of my author-to-author interviews of first novelists:

Ivy Ngeow author of Cry of the Flying Rhino, winner of the 2016 Proverse Prize.

Golda Mowe author of Iban Dream and Iban Journey.

Preeta Samarasan author of Evening is the Whole Day

Chuah Guat Eng,  author of Echoes of Silence and Days of Change. 

Plus:

Beheaded on Road to Nationhood: Sarawak Reclaimed—Part I 

No comments: